This week we have finally started detasseling some of the fields in my area. The first few fields we sent crews through to remove the tassels from the female plant. Which will leave only male tassels to pollenate all of the female plants. They do this to make new varieties of corn for seed the following year. It can transfer traits from plant to plant this way. These crews will continue to do pulls every couple of days. The goal is to reach 99.7% clean of female tassels. This could take several pulls. We have inspectors that go into the field every day after it is detasseled and count 1000 plants and the amount of female tassels that are present. This is how we determine the 99.7% clean. I will go in the field after the crews to ensure that the did not miss whole rows or areas.