Week seven was a highlight for me at Bertrand Farm since we finished a very exciting project – installing a 500 gallon rain water capture system. We had built most of the platform previously, but we finally got around to building the last ledge and actually hauling the tank up onto the platform. Now all we have to do is attach the gutter system to the roof above it. This is very interesting to me since I am passionate about water conservation and am creating a powerpoint project on this topic for Theri, the farm owner.
Another interesting thing we did this week was some experimental stuff with trellising tomatoes. Most of the time Bertrand Farm puts up wiring or cages, but we ran out of cages and U-posts since we planted so many this season. Because of this, Richie, the field manager, wanted to try out something he read somewhere – propping the tomato plants up with branches cut from the woods next to the farm. This is a very self-sustainable practice that will hopefully work! I plan of keeping an eye on these tomatoes to see how they compare to the regularly trellised tomatoes in regards to disease and abundance.